top of page

Digital Nomad Visa to Estonia - a good option?

You have decided that the Digital Nomad Visa of Estonia is suitable for you, now what?

As the digital nomad visa does not come with a digital id it is useful to also apply for e-residency which makes local services in Estonia easily accessible - it is handy when renting an apartment or opening a bank account. Also for opening your own company here and running it location independently. You own company could also help you apply for a residence permit later should you wish to stay longer and more permanently.

The digital nomad visa (officially visa for teleworking) of Estonia is a long-term visa (up to one year, D-type) or short-term (C-type up to 3 months) and the usual visa rules apply, meaning:

1. You need to fill a visa application;

2. Pay the state fee;

3. Have medical insurance;

4. Have sufficient means to support yourself;

5. Proof of residence could be checked;

6. Fingerprints need to be taken/given;

7. You need documents to prove the purpose of the journey (we will touch upon this more later). The application is made to the Police and Border Guard of Estonia or it can be made at certain embassies that accept long-term visa applications.

A digital nomad is someone who comes to work to Estonia but his or her work is location independent and uses mainly IT means/possibilities to work. The law differentiates 3 options for this:

1. He or she continues to work in a described way for a foreign employer;

2. He or she continues business activities for the benefit of a foreign company in which he or she has a share;

3. He or she offers services mainly to clients that are in foreign countries and with whom he or she has a contractual relationship.

But what documents have to be submitted?

  • documents proving that the applicant’s work does not depend on location and he/she can use telecommunication technology for performing his/her duties as telework (usually an agreement or a confirmation from the employer);

  • documents proving that the applicant continues working for an employer registered in a foreign country with whom he/she has a contractual relationship, or business activities for a company registered in a foreign country in which he/she has holdings, or providing services mainly to customers whose place of business is in a foreign country and with whom he/she has a contractual relationship;

  • documents proving the applicant’s legal income during six months before the submission of the application and showing the size, regularity and sources of the income (a bank statement or a tax statement);

  • description of studies and job history (CV).


Featured Posts
Check back soon
Once posts are published, you’ll see them here.
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
No tags yet.
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page